Making The Choice... In A Reputable Home Improvement Company
The quality of your home improvement project, the added value it affords your home, and your complete satisfaction all depend on the choices you make. Home remodeling is not something most people do frequently, and it’s perfectly understandable that you may not know all the details and questions that are important when considering a home improvement company.
The following checklist is designed to help you find and select a reputable home improvement company, and reduce your risk of having a bad home remodeling experience. If possible, begin your search by asking for referrals from people you know who’ve had home improvements completed in the past year to 18 months. Make a list of at least 3 companies to contact and interview.
A Reputable Company…
- Wants you to see other work they have done.
- Tells you how long have they been in business.
- Lets you know if they are local, regional or a franchise.
- Is a member of the Better Business Bureau.
- Is licensed and bonded.
- Has a showroom where you can see the quality of the materials they use and the quality of the work they do “up close and personal”.
- Is staffed by courteous professionals who are willing to take the time to walk you through the entire project step by step.
- Answers your questions and provides you with an accurate analysis of what it will cost to do your project.
- Offers payment plans or payment schedules.
- Never pressures you into making a decision about anything…ever.
- Provides a realistic completion date.
- Lets you know who will do the work.
- Notifies you immediately of any changes that may cause a delay in the schedule.
- Offers to keep you informed during the project in the manner you deem best.
- Employs their own crews and does not use subcontractors.
- Supervises the project with regular visits on site.
- Secures the proper permits in your area.
- Knows and complies with the local building codes in your area.
- Respects your home, surrounding area and your privacy.
- Cleans up the work area at the end of each day.
- Provides a complete walk-through with you, including detailed final inspection of the finished improvements in your home.
- Has a follow-up schedule.
- Promptly takes care of any adjustments or corrections needed on the work they’ve done at no additional cost to you.
- Provides a written labor warranty for at least 10 years.
- Provides a written parts and materials warranty for a minimum of 10 years.
- Sends a final invoice only after the finished project has been approved by you, the client.
- Wants you to be completely satisfied and proud of the improvements made to your home.